Monday, July 2, 2012

The wit of Gerard Hoffnung


A few days ago I mentioned Gerard Hoffnung in passing during a post about recent travels.  It seems many of my readers have never heard of him - not surprising, perhaps, considering that he died tragically young.  Nevertheless, he was a much-loved humorist and musician in England during the 1950's.

He's perhaps best remembered for his speech to the Oxford Union in 1958, during which he introduced a comedy sketch that's since become world-famous:  'The Bricklayer's Lament'.  It's been copied and plagiarized by many artists and entertainers, but I much prefer the original.  Here it is.  (To hear Hoffnung's entire Oxford Union address - which I highly recommend - click here.  Be warned, however, that it's almost half an hour in length.)




I sometimes wonder how Gerard Hoffnung might have influenced both comedy and music if he'd been spared to live to a ripe old age.  If you'd like copies of what little of his work has survived, you'll find details at the official Web site established by his widow.

Peter

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL, that is hilarious! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I first heard that on WCLV radio in Cleveland Ohio on their Saturday Night show when I was a young man in high school.
Hilarious.
Geoff
Who notes Mythbusters (TM) did it with poor Buster!